insert_link Africa Missing Kenyan Men Found Alive Amid Abduction Wave Five Kenyan men, including a well-known cartoonist, have been found alive after vanishing before Christmas, reports BBC Africa. Over 80 abductions, believed to involve government critics, have occurred in the past six months, often linked to security agents. The disappearances surged during anti-tax protests and after AI-generated images of the president in a coffin circulated in December. today8 January, 2025
insert_link South Africa S.A. Health Minister Awaits Approval to Revamp Flooded General De La Rey Hospital S.A's Health minister Aaron Motsoaledi says plans to revamp the flooded General De La Rey Hospital in the North West are in place, but just awaiting approval. The minister visited the hospital in Lichtenburg on Tuesday, where 30 patients were relocated due to flooding. It's the third hospital in the province to be affected by heavy rains in the past week. Motsoaledi says floods in the facility were worsened […] today8 January, 2025
insert_link World US adds Chinese tech giant Tencent to military blacklist The US has added gaming and social media giant Tencent to a list of businesses it says work with China's military, along with several other Chinese technology companies. It serves as a warning to American companies and organisations about the risks of engaging with the entities on the list. Kate Fisher reports from Washington: today8 January, 2025
insert_link South Africa DA Welcomes SIU’s Criminal Referrals in Rooiwal Treatment Plant Case The DA in Tshwane has welcomed the SIU's announcement that criminal referrals have been made to the National Prosecuting Authority regarding the case of the Rooiwal Treatment Plant Five. The case involves an irregular tender linked to businessman Edwin Sodi, with officials implicated. DA Tshwane caucus leader Cilliers Brink has also called on Tshwane's city manager, Johann Mettler, to review the officials' suspension decision: today8 January, 2025
insert_link Namibia Tragic Loss: Learner’s Body Recovered After Drowning The body of O'Linn Nauyoma, a learner from Etosha Secondary School, has been recovered after he drowned in Lake Guinas during a school trip on 8 September 2024. Education Executive Director Sanet Steenkamp confirmed the government’s commitment to supporting Nauyoma's family as authorities continue to address the tragic incident with care and compassion. today8 January, 2025
insert_link Africa Ivory Coast Dismisses Ammonium Nitrate Safety Fears Ivory Coast port authorities have downplayed concerns over a vessel carrying 20,000 tonnes of ammonium nitrate docked in Abidjan. BBC Africa reports indicate that while residents worry about potential risks, officials emphasize the compound is commonly used as fertilizer despite its explosive properties. A portion of the same shipment was dumped off England’s coast last year after fuel oil contamination. today8 January, 2025
insert_link Nam Elections 2024 ECN Rejects IPC Court Bid as Lacking Evidence The Electoral Commission has dismissed the Independent Patriots for Change's court application, calling it "vague and embarrassing." ECN chairperson Elsie Nghikembua argues the case lacks the evidence required to overturn an election under section 115 of the Electoral Act. Meanwhile, the IPC seeks to nullify the entire elections, with LPM pushing to validate only votes from 27 November. Offering comment is Graham Hopwood: he is the Executive Director at […] today8 January, 2025
insert_link South Africa GOOD Party Urges Expert Action on Cape Town Beach Sewage Pollution The GOOD Party has called on Cape Town to engage experts after a citizen-led investigation revealed alarming sewage pollution at Camps Bay and Clifton beaches late last year. The Project Blue report highlighted dangerous Enterococci levels and lack of health warnings. GOOD's Suzette Little demands transparent, expert-reviewed testing protocols, real-time public updates, and stricter sewage monitoring to protect public health and uphold environmental standards: today8 January, 2025
insert_link World Fast-moving wildfire explodes near U.S City Of U.S City Of Los Angeles Thousands of people in the Pacific Palisades neighbourhood west of Los Angeles in the U.S have been ordered to evacuate due to a fast-moving wildfire. Dangerous windy conditions are forecast to continue into today. Ira Spitzer has more from California. today8 January, 2025