Interview Transcripts

Interview: Okahandja Activist /Gaseb to Petition President Over Delayed Murder Investigations

today7 August, 2025

Background

 

 

Okahandja-based social justice activist Johannes /Gaseb says he is preparing to petition President Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah over the stalled investigations into a series of murders that rocked the town in April and May this year.

Speaking in an exclusive interview, /Gaseb revealed that he had already drafted a letter to the Head of State. His plan was to first consult the now-former Okahandja police station commander to finalise the contents. However, he was informed last week that the commander had resigned, leaving him no choice but to proceed with addressing the President directly.

“There is an acting station commander now, and I’ve also been working with the grandmother of one of the victims to help her draft a letter to both the school and the ministry,” he said. /Gaseb added that information he received from the local Criminal Investigation Team (CIT) indicates that two undercover police teams have been deployed on the ground to follow up on the cases.

According to /Gaseb, the previous station commander had urged him to postpone planned peaceful demonstrations to avoid disrupting these covert operations. “He confidently told me the teams were closing in on suspects, and he asked me not to make noise. I agreed, but now that there’s no further communication, I feel it’s time to approach the President,” he said.

/Gaseb also noted that visible police presence in the town has decreased since President Nandi-Ndaitwah’s visit earlier this year. Although some patrols still occur on weekends, community concerns persist. He recounted a recent incident in which Karibib police, working with local units, arrested two suspects in Okahandja related to the murder of a 16-year-old boy.

“The police deserve recognition for that joint effort. But many residents are still afraid to speak up directly, so they come to us activists. We pass their tips to the police,” he added.

On the issue of safety in schools, /Gaseb acknowledged short-term interventions such as the deployment of social workers and patrol training. However, he stressed that only one social worker serves a population of over 45,000 people in Okahandja, making sustained support impossible. “The community is suffering. We need more hands,” he urged.

Despite promises from national and regional officials, including the Minister of Education and local leaders, /Gaseb says that progress has stagnated. “For a few weeks after the President’s visit, things improved. But now, everything is back to a standstill.”

He concluded by appealing for increased police visibility, proper staffing of social services, and accountability from all stakeholders, particularly in cases of unresolved violent crimes.

Written by: Leonard Witbeen

Similar posts

Namibia

Analab expands workforce with inauguration of new laboratory 

By: Selma Taapopi Analytical Laboratory Services has expanded its operations and now employs approximately 34 staff members, about 60 percent of whom are young people, marking significant growth from the four staff employed when it was established in 1997. The increase in staff follows the inauguration of a new laboratory in Windhoek on Wednesday, which will complement […]

today19 February, 2026