South Africa

ActionSA says the ANC must account for the continued deaths and fires in hijacked buildings in Joburg

today23 January, 2024

Background

ActionSA in Johannesburg says it is of the view that the fatalities owing to fires within the Johannesburg CBD should be squarely blamed on the delinquent ANC-led government. On Sunday, a two-storey building was intentionally set alight, claiming the lives of two people, while last year’s Marshalltown fire left 77 people dead. In both incidents, the buildings were hijacked. ActionSA’s, Nobuhle Mthembu, says mayor Kabelo Gwamanda has used every trick in the book to deter the party’s motions, which were aimed at addressing hijacked buildings.

Written by: Leonard Witbeen