insert_link South Africa In S.A, Lusikisiki Massacre Trial Postponed to March 10 In South Africa, the trial of eight men accused of murdering 18 people in Lusikisiki in the Eastern Cape last year, has been postponed to the tenth of next month for further investigations. The case will be transferred to the High Court in Mthatha. The National Prosecuting Authority's regional spokesperson, Luxolo Tyali, says all accused, including the latest suspect, Songezo Vuma, remain in custody, facing charges of murder and illegal […] today18 February, 2025
insert_link World In S.A, ANC Condemns Brutal Murder of Imam Muhsin Hendricks In S.A, the ANC says it is outraged at the brutal murder of Imam Muhsin Hendricks, a respected religious leader and human rights advocate. Often described as the world’s first openly gay imam, the 58-year-old was gunned down in Bethelsdorp, Gqeberha, Eastern Cape on Saturday. Hendricks was the founder of the Inner Circle and in 2011 established the LGBTQ+ inclusive Masjidul Ghurbaah mosque. The ANC’s spokesperson, Mahlengi Bhengu-Motsiri says Hendricks […] today17 February, 2025
insert_link South Africa SA Police Seize Over 2000 Illegal Firearms in Festive Crackdown S.A's National Police Commissioner, Fannie Masemola, says two-thousand-198 illegal, and unlicensed firearms were seized and confiscated during festive season operations. The safer festive season operations commenced on the eleventh of October 2024 and ended on the 31st of January this year. The firearms seized include one-731 handguns, 154 homemade guns, 211 rifles, and 102 shotguns. Masemola says the majority of firearms seized were confiscated in Kwazulu-Natal, Gauteng, Eastern Cape […] today3 February, 2025
insert_link South Africa South Africans Against Drunk Driving Calls for National Disaster Declaration South Africans Against Drunk Driving founder, Caro Smit, has urged the government to declare drunk driving a national disaster following fatal crashes in the Eastern Cape and KwaZulu-Natal. Smit told Newzroom Afrika drunk driving is a major road safety threat, advocating for specialised courts to address offenders and penalties for liquor outlets serving intoxicated patrons. She calls on citizens to unite against drunk driving: today18 December, 2024
insert_link South Africa Fourteen people die in a collision in the Eastern Cape Fourteen people have died in a collision on the N9, 30 kilometers from Graaff-Reinet in the Eastern Cape. A minibus and an SUV collided in the early hours of yesterday morning. Emergency services were on the scene, but the number of injured remains unconfirmed. Eastern Cape Transport Department spokesperson, Makhaya Komisa has urged motorists to exercise caution in the area: today17 December, 2024
insert_link South Africa DA in Eastern Cape Demands Probe into Alleged Corruption in Legislature In South Africa....The DA in the Eastern Cape is calling on the Legislature Speaker, Helen Sauls-August, to launch an investigation into the alleged systemic corruption in the legislature. Allegations include unauthorised payment of over three-million-rand to the ANC in September, and a failure to effect ICT upgrades in the Legislature Chamber despite being allocated four-million-rand to do so in 2021. The DA’s, Yusuf Cassim, says these allegations point to a […] today5 December, 2024
insert_link South Africa Eastern Cape Education Department Urges Schools to Enforce Food Safety The Eastern Cape Education Department has issued a memorandum cautioning schools to remain vigilant amongst the recent widespread cases of food poisoning, and related deaths in the province. In one case, three children aged between one and four died of suspected food poisoning in Mdantsane. The department’s spokesperson, Mali Mtima, says it is imperative for schools to implement the food safety policy guidelines as stipulated in the National School […] today11 November, 2024
insert_link South Africa S.A’s government conducts investigations into the outbreak of foodborne illnesses in several provinces S.A's government says it is coordinating comprehensive investigations into the outbreak of foodborne illnesses in Gauteng, Mpumalanga, Free State, KwaZulu-Natal, and the Eastern Cape. Last week, Health minister Aaron Motsoaledi revealed that organophosphates, chemicals found in pesticides, were responsible for the deaths of six children in Soweto last month. They allegedly shared a packet of chips they had bought from a local spaza shop. Government's Gavin Sadler says they are […] today5 November, 2024
insert_link South Africa Lusikisiki Mass Murder Mastermind to Represent Himself in Court The alleged mastermind in the Lusikisiki mass murders in the Eastern Cape, Mzukisi Ndamase, told the local Magistrate's Court he would represent himself, refusing Legal Aid assistance. Ndamase, who is currently serving a life sentence, was arrested in Ebongweni Maximum Correctional Centre, where he allegedly orchestrated the murders of 18 people. The case was postponed to 29 November for further investigation. The National Prosecuting Authority’s Luxolo Tyali says they have […] today1 November, 2024