insert_link South Africa SANDF Pushes for Repatriation of Soldiers Killed in DRC The South African National Defence Force is urgently working to repatriate the bodies of 14 soldiers who died in clashes with M23 rebels in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Minister Angie Motshekga, Deputy Minister Bantu Holomisa, and SANDF Chief Rudzani Maphwanya briefed Parliament on the escalating security situation in eastern DRC. Addressing lawmakers, SANDF’s Godfrey Thulare stated that the government is coordinating with the United Nations to ensure the […] today5 February, 2025
insert_link Africa SANDF Chief Reaffirms Peacekeeping Role in DRC Amid Kagame’s Claims South African Defence Force chief, Rudzani Maphwanya, has reaffirmed that SANDF troops in the Democratic Republic of Congo are on a peacekeeping mission, countering Rwandan president Paul Kagame’s claims. He stated their mandate is to neutralise armed groups and restore stability. Maphwanya confirmed that plans are underway to repatriate the bodies of the 13 fallen soldiers to their families: today31 January, 2025
insert_link Africa South African Unions Call for Review of Military Missions in DRC The Federation of Unions of South Africa is calling for a thorough assessment of all missions where South African National Defence Force soldiers are deployed. This is to ensure adequate resources and their safety. Thirteen SANDF soldiers have been killed in clashes with the Rwandan-backed M23 rebels in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Fedusa says it hopes this loss of life would serve as a wake-up call for the […] today30 January, 2025
insert_link Africa COPE talks on the tragic loss of SANDF soldiers in the Democratic Republic of Congo The Congress of the People says the tragic loss of South African National Defence Force soldiers in the Democratic Republic of Congo, demands a clear and comprehensive strategy from president Cyril Ramaphosa to protect the lives of military personnel. This comes as 13 SANDF soldiers have been killed in clashes with Rwandan-backed M23 rebels. COPE’s, Teboho Loate, says although Ramaphosa has called for a ceasefire in response to the escalating […] today29 January, 2025
insert_link Africa South Africa Urges Rwanda’s M23 to Cease Hostilities and Withdraw from DRC South Africa Permanent Representative at the United Nations ambassador, Mathu Joyini, has called for Rwanda’s M23 to immediately cease all hostile actions and withdraw from the Democratic Republic of Congo. This comes after 13 soldiers including nine South African National Defence Force members were killed in clashes with M23 rebels. Addressing the UN Security Council emergency meeting on Sunday, Joyini said it is crucial for the Rwanda Defence Forces […] today27 January, 2025
insert_link Africa DA Urges Minister to Brief Parliament on DRC Crisis The DA is calling on minister of Defence and Military Veterans, Angie Motshekga, to urgently brief Parliament on the deteriorating situation in the Democratic Republic of Congo. This comes after M23 rebels in the eastern DRC killed nine South African National Defence Force soldiers last week. The DA’s, Chris Hattingh, says a detailed report to members of Parliament will help determine how best to withdraw the SANDF from the […] today27 January, 2025
insert_link South Africa DA renewes call for South African Defence Force withdrawal from the DRC The DA has renewed its call for the South African Defence Force withdrawal from the Democratic Republic of Congo after the death of the soldiers. DA spokesperson Chris Hattingh criticised the SANDF’s lack of communication and questioned its preparedness, citing years of budget cuts. He demands an end to the deployment amid escalating conflict: today27 January, 2025
insert_link South Africa S.A President Ramaphosa Deploys close to 3 thousand Defence Force Members to Support Police Crime Efforts S.A's President ,Cyril Ramaphosa has authorised the deployment of two-thousand-828 members of the South African National Defence Force to assist the police. This is for the prevention and combating of crime, and the maintenance and preservation of law and order during the elections. Ramaphosa’s spokesperson, Vincent Magwenya, says the expenditure for this employment is estimated at over 59-million-rand: today29 May, 2024