insert_link Health / Medical UN Launches $11.2M Appeal for Uganda’s Ebola Response The United Nations has issued an emergency appeal to raise $11.2 million to support Uganda’s efforts in combating an Ebola outbreak that has claimed two lives says Reuters. Uganda declared the outbreak in January after a male nurse died at the country’s only national referral hospital in Kampala. The response has been further strained by U.S. foreign aid cuts, impacting the country’s health budget. today5 March, 2025
insert_link Africa S.A Cabinet Backs AU & UN Efforts on DRC Conflict Meanwhile, S.A's cabinet has reaffirmed its support for the African Union and United Nations resolutions aimed at addressing the ongoing conflict in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. In a media briefing, minister in the Presidency, Khumbudzo Ntshavheni, urged all parties to work towards a peaceful solution and an end to hostilities: today28 February, 2025
insert_link World UN concerned about Israeli attacks on UNRWA schools in East Jerusalem The United Nations says Israel's repeated attacks on UNRWA facilities in East Jerusalem is a clear violation of its obligations under international law. In the latest incident, Israeli police raided several UNRWA schools this week affecting some 600 students. Earlier this year, Israel enacted a law passed by its parliament to ban the UN agency, claiming employees of the agency were involved in the October 7, 2023 attacks. Jody Jacobs […] today20 February, 2025
insert_link Africa UN Appeals for $6 Billion to Tackle Sudan’s Hunger Crisis The United Nations has requested $6 billion in aid for Sudan this year, citing the world's worst hunger crisis and massive displacement caused by ongoing civil war. Reuters indicates that the appeal marks a 40% increase from last year, coming at a time when global aid budgets are under pressure, partly due to U.S. President Donald Trump’s recent funding freeze, which has impacted critical humanitarian programs worldwide. today18 February, 2025
insert_link World UN humanitarian chief asks Security Council to help protect UN staff in Yemen. United Nations humanitarian chief, Tom Fletcher has appealed to the Security Council to assist in getting UN staff released in Yemen. Several UN staff and other humanitarians are being held captive by Houthi rebels, some for several years. Fletcher says UN aid operations are continuing despite insignificant risks. Jody Jacobs reports. today14 February, 2025
insert_link World Guterres Urges Gaza Ceasefire Compliance Amid Hostage Delay United Nations secretary-general, António Guterres, says the resumption of hostilities in Gaza that will lead to an immense tragedy must be avoided at all costs. Hamas has postponed Saturday’s scheduled release of Israeli hostages in Gaza, blaming what it says are Israeli violations of the ceasefire deal. Three hostages were set to be freed in exchange for more Palestinian prisoners held in Israel. Guterres says both sides must fully abide […] today12 February, 2025
insert_link World More than 10 thousand aid trucks have entered Gaza since ceasefire The United Nations says it has reached a major milestone in humanitarian aid deliveries into Gaza. Tom Fletcher, the UN's head of humanitarian affairs on Thursday said 10 thousand trucks have entered the enclave since the ceasefire began on 19 January. Our correspondent is Jody Jacobs, from the United Nations in New York. today7 February, 2025
insert_link World US executive orders to impact United Nations work The UN Human Rights Council meeting on the human rights situation in Ukraine The White House has issued new executive orders that will further affect the cooperative and multilateral operations of the United Nations. These moves come just two weeks after the United States declared its withdrawal from the World Health Organisation (WHO). US withdraws from UN Agencies President Trump’s directive, issued on Tuesday, confirms that the United States will […] today6 February, 2025
insert_link World Guterres warns Donald Trump against ethnic cleansing in Gaza Antonio Guterres has warned against any form of "ethnic cleansing" in Gaza. The United Nations Secretary General was responding to US President Donald Trump's comments that the US take ownership of the Gaza strip and resettle Palestinians living there. Jody Jacobs reports from the United Nations Headquarters in New York. today6 February, 2025