insert_link Africa Protesters Target Embassies Amid DRC Crisis Demonstrators in Kinshasa attacked the embassies of Rwanda, France, Belgium, and the United States, condemning international inaction over the escalating crisis in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Meanwhile, gunfire echoed through parts of Goma as Congolese troops clashed with militia fighters backed by Rwandan forces. The eastern city has turned into a battleground since fighters from the Tutsi-led M23 armed group and Rwandan troops entered central Goma on Sunday night. today29 January, 2025
insert_link Africa UN Security Council pledges full support to peacekeepers in the DRC The United Nations Security Council on Monday pledged its full support for UN peacekeeping in the Democratic Republic of Congo, as fighting in the DRC intensified in recent days. In a statement, the council says attacks against peacekeepers may constitute war crimes. Six UN peacekeepers have been killed since the fighting with M23 rebels escalated. Jody Jacobs has more from the United Nations in New York. today28 January, 2025
insert_link Africa SA MP denies resource shortages for troops in DRC The chairperson of the S.A Parliament's portfolio committee on Defence and Military Veterans, Dakota Legoete, has refuted claims that South African troops in the Democratic Republic of Congo lack resources. This follows the loss of nine soldiers in Goma. Legoete has deemed opposition calls to recall peacekeepers premature and praised their sacrifices. He highlights the mission’s role in regional stability: today28 January, 2025
insert_link Africa South Africa Urges Rwanda’s M23 to Cease Hostilities and Withdraw from DRC South Africa Permanent Representative at the United Nations ambassador, Mathu Joyini, has called for Rwanda’s M23 to immediately cease all hostile actions and withdraw from the Democratic Republic of Congo. This comes after 13 soldiers including nine South African National Defence Force members were killed in clashes with M23 rebels. Addressing the UN Security Council emergency meeting on Sunday, Joyini said it is crucial for the Rwanda Defence Forces […] today27 January, 2025
insert_link Africa DA Urges Minister to Brief Parliament on DRC Crisis The DA is calling on minister of Defence and Military Veterans, Angie Motshekga, to urgently brief Parliament on the deteriorating situation in the Democratic Republic of Congo. This comes after M23 rebels in the eastern DRC killed nine South African National Defence Force soldiers last week. The DA’s, Chris Hattingh, says a detailed report to members of Parliament will help determine how best to withdraw the SANDF from the […] today27 January, 2025
insert_link South Africa DA renewes call for South African Defence Force withdrawal from the DRC The DA has renewed its call for the South African Defence Force withdrawal from the Democratic Republic of Congo after the death of the soldiers. DA spokesperson Chris Hattingh criticised the SANDF’s lack of communication and questioned its preparedness, citing years of budget cuts. He demands an end to the deployment amid escalating conflict: today27 January, 2025
insert_link Africa Three Chinese Nationals Sentenced in Congo for Illegal Mining Activities A Congolese court has sentenced three Chinese citizens to seven years in prison for being caught with gold bars and $400,000 in cash, convicted of illegal activities related to the artisanal mining sector. According to Reuters, these individuals are the first Chinese nationals to face trial since the Democratic Republic of Congo intensified efforts to curb unlicensed mining in its conflict-ridden eastern regions. today16 January, 2025
insert_link Africa M23 Rebels Seize Strategic Town Near Goma in Eastern Congo Rwanda-backed M23 rebels have captured a key town near the provincial capital Goma in the Democratic Republic of Congo, local politicians reported on Sunday, Reuters says. The Tutsi-led M23 group has been carrying out a renewed insurgency in eastern Congo since 2022. Congo and the United Nations allege that Rwanda supports the rebels with troops and weapons, a claim Rwanda denies, insisting its actions are defensive. today6 January, 2025
insert_link Africa Apple Denies Using Conflict Minerals And Cuts Supply Ties with Congo Apple has strongly refuted claims of using conflict minerals in its products, announcing earlier this year that it directed suppliers to cease sourcing tin, tantalum, tungsten, and gold from the Democratic Republic of Congo and Rwanda. The company cited escalating conflict in the region as the reason for its decision, according to a statement to Reuters. today18 December, 2024